



Student Caucus of Osgoode Hall Law School

Minutes

8 January 2020 (12:30pm – 2:30pm)

OHLS RM 2009

Present: Bobby MacKenzie (Chair), Andrew Tebbi, Rachael Glassman, Marcel Beaudoin, Fatimah Khan, Gaby Pellerin, Genevieve Giesbrecht, Chloé Duggal, Nora Parker, Alannah Marrazza-Radeschi, Jordan Crocker (*via phone*), Akshay Aurora (*via phone*)

Regrets: Sabah Kalim, Priyanka Sharma, Sara Omar, Mihail Salariu, Madi Pulfer

Nora Parker agreed to take the minutes of this meeting given the physical absence of the Director of Communications.

The Chair granted voting rights to Jordan Crocker and Akshay Aurora, who joined via phone call.

CALL TO ORDER (12:34pm)

APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA

Motion: THAT the Agenda be approved. (MacKenzie/Tebbi) CARRIED

APPROVAL OF THE PREVIOUS MINUTES

Motion: THAT the Caucus Minutes of 27 November 2019 be approved. (MacKenzie/Tebbi) CARRIED

COMMENTS FROM THE EXECUTIVE

The Chair began the meeting with a land acknowledgement.

Bobby: following through on projects from 1st semester; making sure bodies are where they need to be to get things done;

CDO initiatives – more hands will be needed now; re: efficacy of CDO processes, find ways that we can help them if a valuable resource; if we can collaborate to make as useful as possible

Study space and general space at Osgoode; availability of resources around key times; problem was lack of availability of library space during 1L midterm season (extending hours at library, well-received; will be continuing on with that discussion); this semester, there aren't 1L midterm dates yet; APPC was reviewing the feedback requirement for midterms (written feedback by week 11; part 2, used to be only Property by Week 10 – 1L reps flag this week – but now Legal Process II where profs also required to provide some kind of written feedback); doesn't look like these profs will have a midterm; we have time to set up for next year to set up extended hours for 1L midterms in winter term; key date for 1L is week 10

Nora: clarifies that it is individualized feedback, may not necessarily be written

REPORTS FROM COMMITTEES

Reminder from Sara: Members appointed to Faculty Council Committees are expected to submit the minutes of their most recent meeting within 48 hours of it occurring. Also keep transition documentation in mind so that students after you can provide effective representation.

BUSINESS ARISING

OLD BUSINESS

1. CAUCUS BANNER (Chloé)

Chloe: we were going to bring to Caucus for options, but there was a sale so it will be arriving

Tebbi: Are we setting office hours?

Bobby: yes, once people know their schedules

Rachael: you could use your board to advertise office hours

2. SLACK (Nora/Jordan)

Motion: THAT Caucus use the Slack page from the previous Caucus year for communication between members, if necessary. (Parker/Beaudoin) CARRIED

Groups for standing committees that are not confidential, esp the non-caucus members

Genevieve: we've been hardlined about using slack exclusively; don't use half FB, half-slack

NEW BUSINESS

1. CAUCUS OFFICE HOURS (Jordan)

Motion: THAT the Director of Communications shall set up the schedule for Caucus' office hours in advance of the next meeting. (Crocker/Tebbi) CARRIED

Jordan: can still do Tues and Thurs 12:30-2:30, find ways to broadcast

Bobby: may have to alter these times; Madi, Fatimah, and Akshay can't do those times; after that week we can talk about another time

2. ELECTIONS (Bobby)

Bobby: keep in the back of our minds for now; Elections Officer still in the back of our minds. Think about what kind of campaign we want to do, visits to 1L classes; coordinate with L&L; for upper years, that's where the struggle is, to get an actual competitive election; what was the federal election turnout? I want to beat that rate. Bobby promises a **party** if we beat it.

Pull people in that you think are suitable candidates; let's have some fun with this.

3. CONVOCATION DATE PETITION (Bobby)

Bobby: I don't know when this arose – it was after the last meeting. Date has been set between the two exams for LSO bar. On behalf of students, Nora and I met with Mya Rymon, and Mya explained how the convocation ceremonies are run at York. York has a set week, all the A/V set up, individuals set up to speak, it's a one-week program. In the past, Osgoode has had this situation where it happens between the two exams – there will be upset individuals. Mya expressed candidly that this is not something she can change. The primary concern came from ppl from other places, countries, with family coming to celebrate. Concern is sharing time with family and studying. It is unfortunate, but there is not flexibility to change it. Following communicating this to the student body, there was a petition for more efforts by the Dean to move the convocation date. They've asked L&L to send out via email.

Genevieve: We were asked to send it out via email, we have good relations with the admin, and did not want to undermine the efforts of Bobby/Nora. We did not feel comfortable sending out on behalf of the L&L.

Bobby: do we think this is appropriate?

Andrew: is it going to be successful? If we are going to upset our relationship with the admin, or is the petition going to change things?

Nora: is sending it out also Caucus endorsing it?

Marcel: asks for clarification on the problem

Bobby: the week of the convocation dates has not changed, the bar exams did change. The admin found the best of the worst timeslot, so it's three days after the first exam. LSO sa

don't book any convocation two days before the exam. Mya got the first Friday, we typically reserve those Fridays.

Fatimah: I want to echo Andrew the feasibility of this; I do think we need to respond. There are a lot of misconceptions about what Osgoode has control over

Bobby: I met with them, and the key frustration is that there is not enough push. No matter what day, you're not going to have everyone attend. They feel like more should be done, and a clear answer from York

Rachael: I read the petition, and I was not clear on when they want the convocation. It's not reasonable to ask for something weeks later; within the range of dates offered, that's reasonable

Bobby: raises issue of travelling right after the bar; re: sending out an email from SC; we have a good relationship with the admin, etc; better to be working with upset students

Genevieve: "we call on admin to move convocation until after the two bar exams"

Akshay: I don't see a problem with sending the email out. It's just asking to advocate

Bobby: could send what date do you prefer?

Genevieve: sending it out would be in solidarity for their efforts

Marcel: we've been informed that there is a slim chance that we can change; gathering information for future convocation

Rachael: I like Marcel's idea, different people are going to have different times. Ask, before during after?

Bobby: with enough support from this year, maybe York University, could they shift that to a range of dates that would accommodate post-bar convocation?

Genevieve: the real issue is whether you want to send out the email

Bobby: I think it's appropriate; and talk to Mya about how to send this to York

NOTE: two stage method; send the petition, and information gathering after this

Motion: THAT the Chair forward the 3L petition provided from students to illicit a student response to the convocation dates. (MacKenzie/Parker) CARRIED

4. 1L GRADES RELEASE (Priyanka/Jordan)

Jordan: Pri asked when grades are released, and if it could be done not during class

Rachael: could ask Nancy to not send the email during class

Genevieve: last year, came out and were wrong

Rachael: released during our Property class, and prof just sent us home.

Bobby: do we want to write to Nancy?

Coordinate a preemptive response: we recommend checking them at home; message of "don't talk about them"

Bobby: is there a session about grades release? One member of faculty gave a candid talk about grades, what to expect? On our side, maybe someone has an in-person convo with Nancy – may bring up with Deans meeting tomorrow.

Chloe: CDO session was packed; no seats available.

5. MIDTERMS – LIBRARY HOURS (Bobby)

Bobby: More updates to come.

OTHER BUSINESS/UPDATES

1. UPDATES ON INITIATIVES

a. CDO ADVISORY SUPPORT (Bobby)

That group of individuals will discuss first priorities for this; Slack channel meeting on this once set up,

Action: Nora to make a Slack for Caucus 19/20.

b. COURSE CHANGE DOCUMENT (Nora)

Nora will raise this with the CDO in the coming weeks to explain how useful it is to have everything in one place.

c. OSGOODE WASTE AUDIT (Jennifer/Madi)

Jennifer and Madi not here

Jordan: I have an email from Jenn; nothing yet to report; ELS is meeting today and I will report. Has not connected with Madi yet.

Bobby: mason jars have reduced JCR waster

Rachael: and reusable straws!

d. CAUCUS EQUITY TRAINING (Bobby/Gaby)

Bobby and Gaby continuing to work on; will be something to implement next year.

e. INTERNATIONAL STUDENT TUITION (Akshay)

Akshay: I emailed Dean Condon about getting in touch with caucus, and it's an issue that we're flagging. She has not responded.

Bobby: What do you see in a conversation?

Akshay: I want to see who is responsible for the increase? What is Osgoode's role if York has response? Where is this increase coming from and why so much

Genevieve: were you in Faculty Council? Lenton mentioned that international students offset the cost of domestic tuition decreases

Akshay: but Osgoode does not have a lot of international students

f. CAUCUS PURCHASE OF TABLE/CLOTH (Bobby)

Bobby: it is purchased.

Jordan: what do we have in our account?

Bobby: we're at about \$500 (for the town halls), banner was \$179. We'll do a full accounting soon. Treasurer column for slack, and will update with expenses.

g. LIBRARY SPACES (Bobby)

Bobby: what data do we want to come out of this? Key variables: adequacy and quantity. Do we have table and desk? Spaces close to outlets. Close to water fountain? Washroom? Close to vending machine, bistro. Group spaces, solo spaces? Informal study – it'll be a physical study. Up the faculty wing, can we use this? Rooms behind the moot court, vacant storage lockers. Genevieve looked into a refresh of furniture in JCR, maybe the Cube. Once we do the audit re: space in Osgoode; then we can say, here's what we have, then ask, what would you like, what would you benefit from? I will put together the framework for this, and in coming weeks, talk about implementing.

h. CAUCUS INSTAGRAM (Sabah)

Sabah was unable to attend the meeting, but was tasked with running the Caucus Instagram and will provide an update at the next meeting.

i. CAUCUS WINTER TERM MEETING SCHEDULE (Jordan)

The times/rooms and dates have been set for this semester.

Date	Time	Room

January 8	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM 2009
January 22	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM 2009
February 5	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM 2009
February 26	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM TBD
March 4	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM 2009
March 18	12:30 – 2:30pm	RM 2009
<i>April 1</i>	<i>12:30 – 2:30pm</i>	<i>RM 2009</i>

Note: The April 1st meeting will be the first meeting of the 2020/2021 Caucus

j. FACULTY COUNCIL REMINDER (Jordan)

Faculty Council will occur on Monday, 13 January.

k. ANY FURTHER BUSINESS

Fatimah: Equality committee has been tumultuous. It's legal drafting on a document that the committee has been working on for a year. Committee of personalities. Chloe received an email from the committee chair. Have not been able to get to other business (anti-discrimination training, etc)

Chloe: chair sent email to some; not told about the call with university council, wanted students to note-take. There was no effort to have student as an active member.

Bobby: this confidential meeting is about? Are there things on the agenda other this?

F: we briefly talked about having the L&L Equity officer come in, and about having a place for you, come in as a non-voting person. That was addressed briefly; otherwise more legal revisions of the document.

Bobby: is it possible to get the anti-oppression as an item? I will bring it up with Dean Condon that there has been a lot of domination, and topical, and time sensitive for next year (the anti-oppression training). Let's get an agenda meeting, and tomorrow I will raise what's happening in Equity committee. What should I flag? Anti-oppression training for 1Ls?

Chloe: the opportunity to bring up new agenda items?

Bobby: do they make a call?

Fatimah: we don't get to the other issues

Marcel: main concern is how the meetings are run? Want to bring this item and can't?

Chloe: yes, how the meetings are run. If we are representing students, and faculty should recognize privilege and listen to student voice. I've been on other committees in undergrad and it is not prioritized.

Bobby: whether or not Osgoode should – in addition to furniture refresh – look into something simple, getting a binding machine. You can buy crud ones, or 1000-2000\$ ones that last forever. They'd have to get volunteers to man it.

Jordan: is rm 2009 what we're booking for the L&L synergy room? L&L: yes for now, can book a 1000 room.

ADJOURNMENT (1:56pm)